• NEA Recipient, Creativity Connects Grant
• FIVARS (Festival of Virtual and Augmented-Reality Stories), Impact Prize
• FilmGate Miami, Jury Prize
• New York Film Festival, Convergence Selection
• UN Women names PRIYA'S SHAKTI "Gender Equality Champion"
• Eisner Nomination, "Best Digital Comic"
• UGO.com, Underground Comic Artist of the Year
Dan Goldman is a writer, artist and activist working in graphic novels, animated TV, video games and digital media.
Raised in South Florida, Dan was a founder of the ACT-I-VATE webcomics collective in Brooklyn, which launched the careers of many creators (including his own). In 2006, his serialized dystopian satire of the War on Terror SHOOTING WAR was nominated for an Eisner Award.
Dan began contributing editorial illustrations regularly to New York Magazine's weekly "Intelligencer" column, eventually leaning harder into comics journalism with a long form collaboration with journalist Michael Crowley. Together they created 08: A GRAPHIC DIARY OF THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL, a 160-page nonfiction graphic novel documenting the chaotic 2008 Presidential election--written and drawn in real-time--which resulted in a hybrid of the visual languages of comics and magazine design that NPR Books called "defiantly and refreshingly unconventional."
Post-election, Dan and his wife moved to São Paulo, Brazil where he began to produce his long-gestating passion project: a paranormal horror series called RED LIGHT PROPERTIES. Initially serialized online at Tor.com, the series saw print via IDW Books (US) and Plot! (Brazil) and is currently in-development as a live-action TV series.
Returning to NYC, Dan produced multiple seasons of Emmy-winning experiences for AMC Television including Breaking Bad, The Killing, and Halt & Catch Fire and scripted two video games based on mega-hit series The Walking Dead. He then co-created the augmented-reality enabled feminist comic series PRIYA'S SHAKTI. Funded by the Tribeca Film Institute, Ford Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts, Dan criss-crossed the Indian subcontinent several times, working directly with the young people his stories were created to inspire. The series has since been downloaded nearly 1.5 million times in multiple languages worldwide. This experience in India inspired Dan to found the Kinjin Story Lab, a narrative studio dedicated to creating mindful entertainment across multiple media.
His next book CHASING ECHOES, a graphic novel about American descendants of Holocaust survivors traveling across rural Poland in search of family land seized by the Nazis, will be released in November 2019 from Humanoids Publishing.
He is based in Los Angeles with his partner Liliam and their two cats Louie and Wanda.
01. Narrative Design
• Reworked narrative, character arcs & dialogue on four seasons of Facebook-based THE WALKING DEAD SOCIAL GAME
• Designed narrative and wrote story/dialogue on two seasons of THE WALKING DEAD: NO MAN'S LAND (iOS/Android)
02. Visual Storytelling
• Adapted screenplay into Eisner-nominated graphic novel SHOOTING WAR
• Created 160-page hybrid comic/infographic covering entire 2008 US Presidential election
• Combined psychedelic Indian-flavored art, feminist activism and augmented-reality
• My path: self-publishing to web publishing to book trade to digital publishing to extended reality
• Work published in multiple markets and translations (US/UK/Spanish/French/Italian/Portuguese)
• Below is a cover gallery of publications in reverse-chronological order (click to fullscreen):
• Recurring political portrait artist for NY Magazine's Intelligencer column (2009-2012)
• Featured in Taschen Books' ILLUSTRATION NOW! Vol. 4
• Slideshow features work for BBC Radio 4, Time Magazine, SXSW Interactive, New York Magazine, Foreign Policy, and Bloomberg Business Week