Coming to prominence as the co-creator of the dystopian graphic novel SHOOTING WAR, Dan's first major work was nominated for an Eisner award for Best Digital Comic. Shortly afterwards he created 08: A GRAPHIC DIARY OF THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL, a nonfiction work of real-time graphic journalism marrying the visual languages of magazine design and sequential comics subsequently dubbed “Highbrow Brilliant” by New York Magazine. His paranormal horror comic RED LIGHT PROPERTIES was serialized on Tor.com, published by IDW Books (US) and Plot! (Brazil) and is currently in development as a live-action cable TV series.
Dan has also produced Emmy-winning experiences for AMC Television, written two video games based on The Walking Dead, scripted animated TV shows for Man of Action Studios, and created artwork for Wired, BBC Radio 4, Time Magazine, Foreign Policy, Entertainment Weekly and New York Magazine.
A frequent speaker at conferences and universities on the confluence of digital activism and narrative, Dan currently serves as Narrative Lead at Kinjin Story Lab, where he incubates story-based projects at the intersection of technological innovation and cultural evolution.
01. Narrative Design
• Reworked narrative, character arcs & dialogue on four seasons of Facebook-based THE WALKING DEAD SOCIAL GAME
• Designed narrative and wrote story/dialogue on two seasons of THE WALKING DEAD: NO MAN'S LAND (iOS/Android)
02. Visual Storytelling
• Adapted screenplay into Eisner-nominated graphic novel SHOOTING WAR
• Created 160-page hybrid comic/infographic covering entire 2008 US Presidential election
• Combined psychedelic Indian-flavored art, feminist activism and augmented-reality
• My path: self-publishing to web publishing to book trade to digital publishing to extended reality
• Work published in multiple markets and translations (US/UK/Spanish/French/Italian/Portuguese)
• Below is a cover gallery of publications in reverse-chronological order (click to fullscreen):
• Recurring political portrait artist for NY Magazine's Intelligencer column (2009-2012)
• Featured in Taschen Books' ILLUSTRATION NOW! Vol. 4
• Slideshow features work for BBC Radio 4, Time Magazine, SXSW Interactive, New York Magazine, Foreign Policy, and Bloomberg Business Week
Honors & Awards
• NEA Recipient, Creativity Connects Grant
• FIVARS (Festival of Virtual and Augmented-Reality Stories), Impact Prize
• FilmGate Miami, Jury Prize
• New York Film Festival, Convergence Selection
• UN Women names PRIYA'S SHAKTI "Gender Equality Champion"
• Eisner Nomination, "Best Digital Comic"
• UGO.com, Underground Comic Artist of the Year